Monday, January 07, 2008

Entrelac....Finally!!!


On a recent Saturday, I took a two hour technique class on the subject of Entrelac knitting. I have tried on several occasions to master this technique, using online tutorials. I could get the first band done, but could not figure out how to do the next band. So when this chance came up, I grabbed it. Here is what I have accomplished; I am using SWTC's Karaoke. Obviously it is a scarf.

I think I understand why I could not master entrelac before this class: I tend to skip critical words in instructions and I think I must have missed the part where, when you begin a new rectangle, you put the last stitch on the right needle back onto the left. Very critical, indeed. I also found that the right and wrong sides are very important in seeing where you are in the technique and I was trying to make the "garterlac washcloth" I found a tutorial for. What does the work "garter" mean...corrrect...wrong and right sides are identical!

This technique is very fascinating and absolutely beautiful. A real 'magic trick'.

1 comment:

Brightfield Farm said...

i know it's been awhile since you did this entrelac technique...but i have started and restarted my for the first time in my knitting life NORO yarn scarf and i am continually stuck on the third tier as you seem to have been. My instructions never mention moving one stitch onto the other needle. I don't see how that third tier gets started, and i ALSO, at the end of the second tier do not have that last wonky rectangle on the right. I congratulate you on your beautiful work. i think i am going to never use a good yarn again as i am probably cursed.
I was trying to use the instructions from knitting daily beyond the basics.
are there any OTHER tips you have?