Saturday, December 02, 2006

Taking a scarf in a different direction


Have lots of leftover fancy yarns from previous projects? I do. I sorted them all by color families. At this time of year I think in terms of scarves and all those scraps of yarns were just begging to be made into a scarf, but I wanted to go in a different direction with scarves, literally.

I chose a basic knitting worsted that was neutral to the color family and cast on 250 stitches on a medium sized needle, I think a 9. For this scarf I knit four rows in garter stitch, then switched yarns. I put the basic yarn between each four rows of fancy yarns.

Yes, you will need a loooooong circular needle. I have Denise Needles and just strung a couple of the cords together.

For the fringe: when you add yarns, you have tails. Don't work them into the scarf body when you are through, they make great fringe. First tie adjacent strands together with square knots, then add more fringe the usual way. Then trim.

Make a scarf this way and I guarantee you will not see another one like it anywhere.

No comments: