Monday, March 24, 2008

Love Affair with Socks

I continue to adore knitting socks. I have knitted three pair, one in the Lion Brand, one in Tofutsies, and one in Plymouth Yarn's Sockotta I got from Yarn Girls. My daughter visited this weekend and loved the socks so much, I have started her a pair in another color of Sockotta. This is a big thing....she has never been a fan of anything handknitted. These short row toe up socks just fit so good!

The only problem I was running into was how to do the sssp. The instructions to do this require one to be a contortionist. So I threw the question out to the wonderful knitlisters and got good replies. For anybody out there that blanches at the sight of sssp in the instructions....when you come to the stitches to be 'sssp'ed' you purl the first stitch, put it back on left neeedle, pick up the next two stitches, one at a time, and DROP them over the purl stitch and completely off the needle. Then put the purl stitch back on the right needle, turn. Perfect.

I still do seem to have a problem with the right and left sides coming out the same when I increase on both toe and heel, always having the knit side finished and still have more wrapped pairs to purl (guess I need to do this part of the socks NOT watching tv)....so I just finagle it by knitting plain rows and finishing up the purl wraps. Does not seem to matter so much as the stitches are tiny and pretty much hidden in your shoes all the time! Knitting perfectionists or purists will shudder at this, but I am NOT frogging a toe or a heel, I would drop so many stitches I would end up with big holes in the toe or heel and would rather have it slightly lopsided instead.

No comments: