Friday, April 04, 2008

Sock Toes and Heels

I figured out (maybe) why my two sides of the mitered toes and heels were uneven...when I turned after the final purl row on short rows, I was not doing my yo's before I started the knit row back to start closing the gaps.

Since I last blogged I have explored other methods of short-row toes and heels. What looked to be the simplest, Japanese short rows, I decided against finally because of the fumbling about with markers. I tried safety pins, paper clips, and yarn scraps and it was very awkward, also I could not "read" the stitches and gaps very well. I hated the markers, and with the cheater method of sssp a knitlister taught me, "purl, move stitch back to left needle, pass next two stitches over and drop them, move stitch back to right needle", am happier with the YO method. The knit gap closing rows are still neater than the purl gap closing rows, but nobody but me is looking.

I love my socks and alternate between the three pair I have knitted. The second pair of Tofutsies is underway. I really gauged it and measured my foot better and this pair is going to fit closely to my feet. I have tiny, narrow feet. Bad for buying shoes, but good for getting two pairs of socks out of a ball of sock yarn!

No comments: