Saturday, May 24, 2008

Spring Knitting

I have drifted away from knitting recently. I fell in love with knitting socks and now that it is too warm to wear them, I am at a bit of a loss what I want to knit. Have several things started, nothing enticing.

I was at Biltmore Village in Asheville, NC a few weeks ago and a knit shop was right across from the restaurant I had eaten lunch with on a tour of Asheville. We had free time so I made a beeline for it. The proprietors were very nice and upstairs was a table full of yarn bags, discontinued lines and colors. Since I am a bargain hunter at heart, I could not leave without a bag! I chose a bag of Debbie Bliss' Cotton Cashmere in a khaki color. And since I have trouble buying yarn without casting on something immediately, am working on a shrug.

I also decided I needed a new small drawstring purse and had some cotton yarn in a beige and a khaki color; I strung some wooden beads on one of the yarns and began the purse, will knit the beads into it in some sort of pattern.

I got out the pink shawl I completed last year and have been enjoying it this spring; it is still the one item I have knitted that I adore and continue to get compliments. In fact, I was just tossing it over my shoulders at the end of our shopping break on my Asheville tour and one of the woman gasped and asked me if I had just bought it in one of the shops! The yarn was a German mercerized cotton yarn that I bought from elann.com and it turned out to be on closeout and the entire line discontinued. This is the nicest feeling cotton yarn (it is a very upscale version of the crochet cotton on the cardboard tube we find at discount stores)and I wish I had known it was discontinued; I would have bought more in every color!

No comments: