Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lace is challenging


I am always looking for a new challenge in knitting. Garter stitch is quick and easy but ultimately boring. I've been wanting to try lace stitching and recently spotted a shawl on elann.com that caught my fancy and so I ordered the pattern and the yarn.

The first part of the shawl is the simple repeat floral pattern. So at least I am getting my feet wet before I have to tackle the more difficult ends. However, there are LOTS of mistakes in that simple pattern...I get "off" and then fudge and get back on track. When I get to the really difficult design I plan to use "life lines".

One thing I have learned from this shawl; it is easier to use the chart than the "words". I have never understood charts and always wrote out the stitches for each row on index cards. I knitted a sleeveless top in a simple lace pattern and used the words. I am also knitting a heavy cotton shawl with a lace pattern and using words. For some reason it just was not working on this pattern. So am learning to use the chart. With mixed results. I think I have it going along great and suddenly my flowers are "out of line".

1 comment:

Sandra D. said...

Hey Nan, Glad to see you again! The red shawl is gorgeous, and original. Thanks also for sharing the "how to." I'm going to make a note of that. The Estonian lace is beautiful. I think charts are way easier once you get used to them, so keep plugging along. About life lines - do you have needles with holes through which you can thread dental tape or thin thread? If you do, it's easy to install the lifeline just by knitting a row with it threaded in the needle. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress on this one!