Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Another Shawl Begins

Finally am knitting a little again. Not that I stopped; just that I am enjoying it more and thinking design again. I do have socks on my needle with my favorite Tofutsies yarn. I also am knitting baby hats for Charlotte Knitting Guild charities. Those are fun.

I have started and stopped several projects; a sweater I know I will not wear, a shawl that I knew I would run out of yarn halfway through, etc. The sweater I had started was out of a lovely purple elann.com Callista yarn. I kept looking at that yarn and looking at it; it needed to be a shawl, not a sweater. I think a shawl in that yarn would come close to making me as happy as my 'famous' pink shawl does. So....

I am designing this purple shawl, since I like to do things like that. This shawl is going to begin and end with a point. The advantage of this is that I can take notice of how much yarn I have used when the shawl is wide enough, and save that amount to finish it with, and just knit in between.

I thought about doing it just in garter stitch, but knew I would be crazy with boredom within two days. I like the smoothness of stockinette, but a little lace does give a wow factor. There is a pattern in one of my books called Overlapping Waves. I have been going to use that pattern several times and it just never happened. Well NOW is the time.

I could have taken the easy way out and just knitted the pointy part in stockinette or some simple yo's here and there but I have never been known for making things easy on myself...no challenge there. So, I started this overlapping waves pattern down at the point. The pattern naturally widens as the shawl widens. Multiples of six, so it is pretty easy to do that. The pattern is also very easy for my brain to comprehend. And I must say it is gorgeous so far. I am doing a six stitch garter border on each side of the shawl to give me a nice selvedge to hold onto.

A photo will show up in a bit.

1 comment:

Debra said...

It sounds like it will be pretty.
Debra