Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Best Thing About Stitches

The best thing, to me, about Stitches Midwest (even better than the yarn), was seeing all the knitters walking the Market floor wearing handknit garments. The garment of choice seemed to be shawls. I just don't see any handknits on the streets of Charlotte. It was also amazing for the ego to have people continually stop me to touch and marvel and rave over my pink cotton shawl. Mistakes and all! I even bought a couple of shawl pins for it and that makes it wear even better.

I also chose to be in the Student Fashion Show wearing the fuschia top and shawl I knitted last winter and basked in the compliments. I am in two knitting groups and of course we rave over each other's knitted creations, but in my day to day life nobody even "gets" why I knit, especially since purchased "handknits" are generally cheaper ....I understand knitted scarves showed up in The Dollar Store last year.... So the atmosphere of being surrounded by hundreds of knitters was amazing.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm a solitary practioner of the fiber arts myself so no one "gets" it here either.

I wish I had gone to SM but life got in the way. Maybe next year.