Saturday, September 22, 2007

Red Scarf Project

I briefly suspended all my UFO projects to rapidly knit a scarf for OFA's Red Scarf Project. I had some nice soft acrylic in a dark red color and so started knitting a bias scarf. Halfway through, I realized I would not have enough yarn. I went to the store and, although the brand of yarn I was using had no dye lot, another customer and I decided that making the second half black and red striped would be really cool. So here it is.



To make this scarf, I cast-on three stitches and increased one stitch every row until I had the width I desired, then every other row I increased at the beginning and decreased at the end, making a slanted pattern. When the scarf was 60" long, I decreased at the edge every row until I was back to three stitches. I liked the effect. The red and black stripes are completely random and knitted at my whim. I did make the second half predominantly black, though.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I like it! Red and black are one of my favorite combinations so I definitely approve. I love the randomness of it.