Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Berets in Style

I see that all warm hats in style this year, including berets. I have a very small head and very short hair and look rather ridiculous in a hat, at least according to my children. I also HAVE to wear something to keep my ears warm when it is cool and windy. Everybody else is running about with the wind blowing their hair and I am bundled in a scarf and a hat!

Over the past winters, I have worn polar fleece headbands to keep my ears warm, but this year I dug through my scarf drawer and came up with the beret I knitted it 1990 while living in Germany! I also found the pattern I used to knit it with. The yarn was man-made as I recall, and had these cool little colored loops attached to it. It was worn all over Europe, was warm enough even in the snow, and I managed not to lose it, although I did have to go back and retrieve it several times. And continue to: had it with me this weekend on Saturday night and Sunday morning hubby informed me that he picked it up off the driveway beside the car when he went out to get the paper. Ah me. I'd better knit a bunch more as backups!

Bought some yarn from KnitPicks and started a new beret yesterday. This one is from their Wool of the Andes. I have always studiously avoided wool because it makes me itch. But last year I knitted some wool fingerless gloves and love them. I also am wearing a (store bought for a song) Pashmina that is amazingly soft and no itch. Being wool, although very thin, it keeps my shoulders warm but I don't get overheated.

So thought I would try making the beret from wool and see if I could wear it. I bought three skeins of the wool, so hopefully will have enough to knit fingerless gloves to match.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I love berets because they don't flatten my hair as much. I should knit one this winter since I don't have one to wear.

Yeah, right. I'll put it in my queue and probably get it knitted up by March.