Thursday, November 29, 2007

I Hate Math

I knitted the beret in a nice Wool of the Andes by Knitpicks. I did not do a gauge swatch, but did drop down a needle size, since I knit loosely. The beret was large on me. Came down somewhere around my nose. So I sewed about a 2" seam up the back and it now fits.

Decided I wanted a beret knitted from mohair blend yarn, since I figured it would be really warm this winter for my neighborhood walks. I found some sensational green yarn locally. I cast on about 10 stitches and did enough ribbing to see what the measurement would be. Then I started trying to figure out how many stitches to cast on so the ribbing would stretch to 22". I not only hate to measure gauge swatches, I hate to do the math to convert MY swatch to the pattern. Now, if I would knit a proper sized gauge square it might be better, but I knit just enough to get a pseudo measurement.

I fiddled and fiddled with my calculator and jotted down results. Several times. Then promptly forgot which of the jottings was the final result. Sheesh.

Anyway, I knitted the hat and it fits. Intend to get a photo up, soon. Of both berets, so you can see the colors. The first one is classic and boring and goes with everything. The green really has the wow factor and hopefully people will look at the hat and not at me!!!

No comments: