Sunday, November 11, 2007

Merino Shawl Still on Needles

Back this summer I joined a Knit-a-Long at a local LYS to knit a huge merino lace shawl from Cherry Tree Hill Merino. Somewhere in a previous post is a photo of the first medallion. I finished all three medallions and started one long side of the shawl. It got very hot and the yarn got very uncomfortable to knit with, so I abandoned it.

Guess what? It got cold. Finally. Well, cold is a bit of an overstatement here in North Carolina, but I decided a wool shawl WOULD be nice after all. Each row of the shawl is hundreds of stitches in laceweight. I don't even want to know how many minutes each row takes.

Resisting the urge to start another shawl (I FINISHED the blue cotton half circle shawl just in time to need one out of wool, instead...will photo it when I block it, if ever), I got the wool one back out and worked on it and finished one side. Now just the second side to go. I alternate it with a garter stitch baby blanket for my third grandson who arrives in March. The blanket is tediously boring, the shawl is tediously difficult because of the very fine yarn, so I alternate tedium!

For those of you reading carefully, you noticed I said I joined a Knit-a-Long for this shawl. Never went back!!! But when I do finish the shawl you can be sure I will take it to the LYS to show it off!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I got some old projects out when the weather changed. I'm not as enthused about them as when I first started them, but it will be nice to finally finish them.

I can't wait to see the lace shawl.

And the cotton one.