Thursday, August 24, 2006

EZ Moebius


One of the local yarn shops has a 50% off sale this week....I stopped in and spotted a couple of skeins of a nice wide variegated ribbon yarn in green and purple. A model of a Moebius shawl was hanging on the wall and I decided I wanted one. They stay on your shoulders much better than a shawl. To make the shawl more substantial, I also bought some coordinating shiny narrow green ribbon.

Back at home, I immediately jumped in and began casting on. Oh my. Now I know why my knitty friend, Linda, makes her moebius shawls in one long piece and twists it 18o degrees and sews a seam to join. As I saw my needle twist upon itself, and realized that I would have to knit the whole thing like a pretzel, I bailed.

If any of you want to make one of these easy versions of the moebius, note that you are knitting lengthwise, not widthwise, unlike most rectangular shawl patterns. For a size 17 needle it called for 75 stitches, but I have narrow shoulders, so I have backed down to 65. I will knit for 14", cast off, twist, and sew the ends together. If you were to knit side to side, the garter rows would be perpendicular and the shawl would not drape as well.

If anybody has knit the moebius the conventional way, good for you! I might try again sometime if I ever buy really long circular needles in #17. But for now, nobody is going to know that seam is there but me!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

You are a tease! The yarn is beautiful but we need to see pictures of your work :) please...

Patty said...

Oh gorgeous yarn! Your moebius is going to be beautiful!