Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mixing Past and Present

I was also lucky to have a mother who did handwork. She knew how to knit and I have a afghan of hers, but she preferred crochet. And, amazingly, she preferred to crochet with crochet cotton and make amazing concoctions like this. I have always displayed this doily, but recently hit on this display to showcase a lovely piece of North Carolina pottery that I purchased at a pottery fair last year. The display is on a marble topped coffee table that I also inherited. I love the contrasting textures.

1 comment:

Sandra D. said...

Your crocheted heirlooms are beautiful. My mother had mahogany, too. I wish I still had it, but I let her give it away because I was young and stupid many years ago. What I wouldn't give to have it back! So I could disply crochet on it.

How nice that your aunt realized what you'd appreciate. I generally don't give hand made items to people who have no appreciation for them, though I am making an exception for the granddaughters, at least while they're young.

I actually prefer, like your mother, to crochet with cotton. But I don't crochet much anymore, because I really prefer to knit.