Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Sock Knitting Adventures

I finally decided my next challenge would be to knit socks. I want to see what all the fuss is about. I tried the 4 dpns and that is just not my favorite way to knit, although I do know how to use them (the arms of those Icelandic Lopi yarn sweaters I made while living in Iceland had to be knitted on them).

I do know how to knit using two circulars, so decided to try that method. But my instructions were for dpns and could not translate. Then I went online and found some instructions but could not figure it out, either. Decided on the Socks Soar on Two Circulars book. When I got to the shop I decided on the book Sensational Knitted Socks instead. This book has amazingly useful charts and allows you to actually design your socks and size them, etc. I have a very small foot and all the patterns I find are for a medium sized ladies' foot. This way I can gauge my yarn, measure my foot, and knit custom socks for myself.

This book also has a "class sock" and I am actually knitting it! I absolutely hate to knit something I can't "use" so this is tough for me. The LYS told me that they had taught lots of sock classes, some using the teeny "class sock" and others where you made your "real" sock right away and that the "class sock" is better. Primarily because you use bigger needles and knitted worsted.

I am currently doing the gusset. This is a steep learning curve. I have to say the book is exceptionally well written. There are not really pictures of the process, which is okay, since I absolutely cannot learn from pictures. Everything is in words, and so far I can follow.

When my teeny "class sock" is finished, will post a photo. Curiously, though, the cuff of the sock is big enough in circumference that I can pull it over my foot. This is not a miniature sock at all. I think the only thing small about it is the foot length.

The grafting has me scared, though!!! The "words" say to put the needle into the stitch purlwise in one place and knitwise in another, but the "diagram" looks exactly the same. Oh well, should NOT be jumping ahead..........my biggest fault (along with not finishing items).

No comments: