Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Beed Size Woes

I am in the MS3 KAL along with every other knitter in the world! Anyway, according to the posts on the group website, Michael's had a good selection of beads. Ha. Double Ha. Yes, they had gorgeous seed beads. Yes, they had the exact color I wanted for my shawl. But, what is this? NO size indicator ANYWHERE on the label (Blue Moon Beads). So I went to the register and together we opened the tube and I tested my size 16 steel crochet hook....they were size 11 beads. And all the other MARKED seed beads were also size 11.

I went to a bead boutique next and all they have is size 11 beads. Teeny, teeny, teeny. Anyway, I ended up ordering beads from The Beadwrangler. Since I could not hold these beads up against my swatch, I ordered both lt. gray pearl and silver lined crystal. Since postage was flat rate, I also ordered some lt. beige pearl for the pearly tencel I also have to knit a lace shawl or scarf with, someday.

What is with size 11 beads? I don't make jewelry, so I don't know how they are used, but that seems to be the popular size. Thank goodness for the internet!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Here i am, late to the party as usual. I had the same bead problems. I checked out A.C. Moore and they had beads in size 10 or 11 and beads in size 6, but not beads in size 8. The size 6 were definitely a little large but would probably work if you used sock or fingering weight yarn. I considered giving them a try just because they would show up more and be easier to handle, but then I figured if it was such a good idea someone else would have tried it by now. As you can tell I haven't yet started on the MS#3; usually it takes me an age to settle on yarn, needle size and such. I am planning to go to a local KAL meeting tonight - some area folks are getting together on this, and it always helps me to have people to spur me on. Hope things are working out for you - see you around the list!