Saturday, June 30, 2007

New Socks for my Chairs

From THIS



My wooden chairs scratch my hardwood floor. Over the years I tried every "chair tip" product out there. About two years ago I found a free online pattern for crochet chair leg socks and made them from some acrylic I had lying around. Worked fine but they are wearing out, as the top photo shows.

To THIS


As I explored sock knitting I had the idea to knit socks for the chair legs using one of the elastic yarns. I got some Cascade Fixation from the LYS in pale yellow. The first eight I knitted, I did so flat in a K1P1 ribbing and seamed the piece into a tube then gathered one end tight. To say it is boring to knit one of these is the understatement of the year. I am knitting on sz 3 needles and it takes two hours to knit one of these. And I need 16!

Today I switched to knitting the sock in the round on two circulars. Probably a bit slower but I did hate doing the seam and since the sock had to stretch a lot over the fat part of the leg, it looked pretty bad.

If anybody wants to copy the idea, I knitted these using 20 stitches. To help them wear longer, I covered the tip of the chair leg with quilt batting. The constant scraping of wood against wood eventually wears through the yarn and I don't want to knit 16 of these pesty things again.

3 comments:

sheepish1 said...

very clever, chair leg covers, and so handy...

Unknown said...

Oh, they are just simply fabulous!!! BUT - - - now I want to see them WITH the little table. We, your bloggy fans, are just NEVER satisfied,
WEDDING CHAIR COVERS
CHAIR COVERS
CHAIR COVERS HIRE

Unknown said...

Just read your post and would like to thank you for maintaining such a cool blog. leather contemporary sectionals