Saturday, June 02, 2007

Creativity

Evidently my "creativity button" has come unstuck. Suddenly I see possibilities in yarn and patterns everywhere. As readers of my blog know, I have been plodding along with my first lace, making a pink cotton lace shawl. The cotton is a very nice quality of crochet cotton that comes on cardboard spools. I was using a discontinued FiberTrends pattern that came with the yarn from Elann.com, no longer on web page.

I struggled with the center panel and finally finished it, learning finally to read a chart vs my stitches.

Started the first border and I could get it mostly right, but could not do nupps with this kind of yarn and without the nupps, the pattern was boring. Rippit, rippit.

Then I had a "creativity moment". WHY did I need to slavishly follow this designer? Yes, it is gorgeous, but so what?

I got out my stitch dictionary and started dreaming through the lace patterns. This took quite awhile but I not only came up with choices for the two borders, I am going to be actually telling a story with the shawl. Mystery moment...........stay tuned for what I came up with.

No comments: