Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mystery Stole Progress


The beginning of the stole is TOUGH. My beads came late afternoon on Saturday and of course I HAD to jump right in. And startover. And startover. And startover. Finally I got past the first five rows. My #16 crochet hook was way too small and split the Zephyr yarn badly. I went to the store for Super Floss and that took awhile to figure out how to use, too. I have ordered a #13 hook from an eBay seller, but the Super Floss will probably work as well. Either way, it is fiddly.

I discovered that I was adding a stitch when I attached a bead. Don't ask. The main problem after that was solved is that I was so stressed that my hands were sweating and the yarn would not slide on the needles. I kept having to unknit a row, and the fuzzy yarn was not cooperative. I started lifelines, but the dental floss was too thin and slippery when I had to actually USE a lifeline. So I switched to some perle cotton.

I am using markers, post-it notes and a document reader. This is NOT relaxing knitting as of yet!

As I am S-L-O-W-L-Y knitting a row, counting the finished stitches, figuring out where the missing or extra stitch is, I am longingly thinking of a simple 5 stitch, 5 row repeat or something like that! But this shawl is so intriguing and I like a good challenge. Hope I am up to it!

4 comments:

Lissette said...

I'm so sorry you and MS3 got off to a bad start, but I'm sure that once you get the hang of it it'll be a breeze! I'm still waiting for my yarn to come in. It should hopefully be here today.

knitfriendly said...

:( I hope that as you continue, it will become easier for you. I have to sit at a table with no distractions and then I am ok. Another tip that I read and now use is to "precount" the multiple knit stitches and write the number in the first blank box so then I don't have to stop and count how many stitches I have to knit until the next YO or K2TOG. I hope that this helps. :)

Jen D. said...

That looks really interesting...but then I love a good challenge too. Of course, knitting at all can be a challenge with 3 children helping, but I digress. Just wanted to let you know that I popped over from the Knitlist...I liked your post about mulitiple projects! I guess it struck a chord with my. Good luck on your shawl! I'll definitely be checking in to see how it comes along. Maybe I'll torture myself with one next year! :D

Unknown said...

Oh, lace knitting is incredibly simple and very easy. You are making it way too hard for yourself, and there is no need for it.

But it's up to you!