Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Yarn Switch

I decided to switch yarns on the Mystery Stole. I had the Zephyr silk/wool but I also had ordered some Tencel. It appeared that my moist hands were practically felting the yarn and tinking was very difficult. And I was tinking a lot.
The Tencel yarn feels much better in my hands this summer. I'll probably enjoy knitting with the Zephyr mid-winter, although will probably choose to knit a stole with a lace repeat that is not as challenging. I have a stitch dictionary full of lace patterns I yearn to master.

My main problem with the Mystery Stole is the lack of repetition. My pink lace shawl had a repetitive rhythm to it. Right now I am on row 30 or so and have inserted a lifeline. I do like the feel of the tencel and it is knitting up beautifully. Since wool tends to make me itchy at least I KNOW I will enjoy wearing this one.

I leave for a week at the beach this weekend and will not take the shawl with me...too many distractions for that. Hopefully when I return I will hit my pace. I love a good challenge, but this project is beginning to make me question just how much of a challenge. This is not a soothing project. Reading the chart poses no problems, it is translating it perfectly to the knitting. My concentration is far from perfect, it seems.

On the trip I plan to knit socks, linen cloths, and possibly a baby blanket. The corner-to corner style that is mindless. I have some turquoise CottonEase and a new baby in the family.

No comments: